Saturday, April 26, 2014

Becoming an aunt



July 27, 2013.  The day my heart grew.  Delaney came into the world on a Saturday night.  My sister was more than a week late delivering.
I had spent the past two weeks phone in hand-not wanting to miss a call or text.  The text came at five in the morning.  My older sister and her husband were heading to the hospital. It was go time.  I threw my things in a bag, grabbed a cup of coffee and hit the road for Seattle.  I got home before 9 a.m. only to learn this whole process takes time.  After a morning, afternoon and evening of labor we got the call that she was about to start pushing.  My mom, dad, other sister and brother in law piled into our cars and drove to the hospital.  We sat in the waiting room for about an hour-guessing names and anxiously waiting for the text that she had arrived.  Finally it came.  She was here and she was perfect.  My mom and dad and I went in to meet Delaney first.  It's pretty awesome seeing your sister with her baby for the first time.  My sister passed her off to me and I was in love.  It's an instantaneous bond.  Like WOW-my sister made you.  And-you are so perfect.  So innocent.  So fragile. In the weeks that followed I captured every yawn, every hiccup on my IPhone.  I drove up every chance I got and Delaney grew and she grew and she grew.  Every time I saw her she was bigger.  Every time I visited she had new "tricks."  As I write this she's crawling. She's pulling herself up. She's laughing.  She's eating solids-and loving everything she puts in her mouth.  For me being around Delaney is a reality check, a time to escape the stresses of everyday life.    If you see the world through the eyes of a baby it sure looks like a beautiful place.  Everyone is smiling at you.  Perfect strangers adore you.  As long as your basic needs are met life is good.  There are no grudges, there is no stress, no anxiety.  Your concerns are so fleeting.  It's all so simple. Delaney and all babies are such a blessing.  My sister and her husband gave me the greatest gift when they brought Delaney into the world.  This tiny little girl has changed my perspective on life.  She's a bright spot in a world that can be pretty tough.

Cuddle time.  Mid-August

Trip to the San Juan Islands
The best!


Showman girls take a day trip to Archery Summit Winery.








Christmas 2013
Delaney visits Portland

No comments: